Cyberfox and its future direction

Latest New's, Site Updates, Site Maintenance, Info About Cyberfox & Patches To Cyberfox.
Global Notices. Please Be Sure To Check Regularly.
User avatar
itekweni
CyberNoob
CyberNoob
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:46 am

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby itekweni » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi just read this after upgrading to Version 52 and like many other users very sad to see such a great browser is going to disappear in 2018 and I would like to say a big thank you to all who have been involved and like many people on here understand the reasons behind the move and I would also like to wish you all the best for the future, now all I have to do is search for another great browser which Cyberfox has been and hope that i find one,

User avatar
yoreek
CyberNoob
CyberNoob
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 am

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby yoreek » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 am

Hi, dear Toady! I've just seen your notice after an upgrade and even decided to sign up to express my deepest gratitude. The fact that I never ever registered here is yet another proof of Cyberfox smooth experience as a daily browser, because I have never needed any support whatsoever. Like another guy posted it here, I switched to it when the good old Opera turned into a monster, and your browser showed me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.) For a few year now, Cyberfox has been my helping hand, and it breaks my heart to learn that it's being discontinued. I would eagerly contribute my donation to the common cause of supporting our favourite browser, but it's even more sad to hear that it not only related to money. I wish you luck in your future projects, Toady, and what's much more important, in recovering your health. Many many thanks for your efforts! And I do hope there will be people able to continue this amazing project.

User avatar
polymer ghost
CyberNoob
CyberNoob
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 am

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby polymer ghost » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:24 am

First post - and a big THANK YOU! Like some guys before, I also never posted before because CF always just worked. What an experience! And I'll just say that I can totally understand the decision taken.
One last wish for the browser, if there is no fork til the end of the year would be a Cyberfox 56 farewell edition. I'm sure many extensions will have no replacement after the much critisized changes in FF 57. So a Cyberfox 56 ESR could really be a thing of great value for many users.

User avatar
danielson
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby danielson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 pm

With wishes of good health and thanks for making Cyberfox so good!
You might want to consider giving the occasional few "free" moments to Waterfox in their endeavors to keep at it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/comme ... n_esr_and/

User avatar
TekRon
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby TekRon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 am

As everyone else as stated, I also wish you the best & may you achieve all your short & long term endeavors! You have made a major impact & difference to a lot of people! Thank you! V/R Ron

User avatar
tonialb
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:17 am

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby tonialb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Hello Cyberfox community,

Dark times are coming for Firefox. Lets hope that it will not turn into a black-box! Even the Chromium claim itself 100% open-source, but is it really?! :evil:

Cyberfox will miss me. I would like this project had not end, but...! Anyway, a big thank you to Toady and to all people who have contributed on this great project. Wish you all the best.

User avatar
crime-to-box
CyberNoob
CyberNoob
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby crime-to-box » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 am

Thanks Toady for providing my daily browser for the last few years. :D

User avatar
newmanmira
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby newmanmira » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:26 am

I am so sorry to hear this. I've been bragging to people since I downloaded this browser and encouraging them to hop on the bandwagon. I understand your health is much more important, just sad about losing this browser. I hope your personal issues get resolved in a positive manner and to see you back here. I also hope Cyberfox does continue past the EOL. Take care of yourself first. Thanks for all the help and hard work you've put into this project.

User avatar
Kitwritten
CyberNoob
CyberNoob
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby Kitwritten » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:08 pm

I am also very sorry to hear this.

what stands out to me with cyberfox, is you brought the users thinking to the browser, when I load cyberfox, I am loading a browser that a user has built up and its a browser that matches exactly what I want and need to do with it. I want to say how much I appreciate all the people that have put their time, thinking, ideas and visions into cyberfox

when I read about the cost, yes I immediately reached for my wallet.... but you are right... there is no god mode in real life and sooner or later the body says I need updating too. Its something I am facing after 30+ years of gaming on the net, customer support work and endless 16+ / 7 day a week runs.....
The bodies saying its hitting on 50 and its time for maintenance.

if it ends up that cyberfox is no more.... its going to be like some old games, stored on the PC so I can occasionally look at them and remember how I was like a lil kid at xmas.... a reminder of times past and treasured.

Thanks to the team for an amazing browser, and toady for showing mozilla how a browser should be built and work

User avatar
Toady
Developer
Developer
Posts: 5257
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 am

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby Toady » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm

4th time registered wrote:Well hell, that truly does suck.

Thank you for all that you've done, but a man has to do what he feels best.

Thanks for the memories....


Thank you 4th time registered for your feedback.

clriis wrote:This is so sad.

I really hope somebody is able to continue where you have left, you have done an amazing job


clriis this would be great to see, the source code is all on github for anyone who wants to, thank you for your feedback.

nitroFX wrote:That is deep health is important sad to see 2018 might be no more cyberfox. thanks today from 2013 cyberfox was my daily browser


nitroFX, yes sadly lifestyle changes are needed and with it to continue doing what i love a change in development direction is needed, very sad to
about this but i am happy with what has being accomplished in time Cyberfox has being out.

VampireLestat wrote:Also Mozilla has largely to be blamed. They basically take away everything which enables Cyberfox to stay Cyberfox. Developing your own tool if you will lose everything is for sure no fun stuff.

Too bad that you have decided to let that terrible guys from Mozilla win. In their quest to destroy every single bit of what made Firefox unique to create the perfect Chrome replacement browser which should of course attract... Chrome users they are already and will destroy also most projects which are based on Firefox code.


VampireLestat, if lifestyle changes were not needed the likely outcome would have been Cyberfox would have continued on the rapid release adapting
the custom changes and features that Cyberfox has into the newer Firefox code base, sadly to fork\diverge such a large code base as a single or small
team of developers to maintain the security level a browser needs being the first attack point for web based vectors, being that the browser is on the
front line can't be done correctly unless there is a good security community helping with security. Once more say forking from a point in time that
leaves the code base to fall behind in development old code that no longer gets tested a security issue could become swish cheese of security holes.

milesxaheadx wrote:This sucks big time for us users, but it's completely understandable. Best of luck on all your future endeavors, we'll miss ya.

So long and thanks for all the fish!


Hi milesxaheadx thanks for your feedback currently still updating to 2018 end of 52.0 esr branch.

Cipher wrote:Your health and well being outweighs anything else - this is absolutely paramount.

Thankyou x100 for all the time and effort you have put into the Cyberfox project, it has been one of last lines of sanity when dealing with the evolving behemoth that is Firefox and it`s mutation into a browser I don`t - and don`t want to - recognize.

I for one will certainly continue to use Cyberfox 52 for as long as it is possible and feasible.

With a twinge of sadness but still a very positive outlook, again I say Thankyou !


Thank you Cipher for your feedback and support.

eXeToR wrote:I always thought this could happen, at the moment i'm just sad. It's a lot of work for one person only, i think you should have brought some people on board to help you out. I want to thank you for your hard work & dedication on this project, i wish you good luck for the future & i hope you get better health wise. If someone knows some good alternatives i would like to hear them, i've to plan something upfront if this project is discontinued.


Kind regards, eXeToR


eXeToR, sadly had i know when first starting Cyberfox how large it would become certain lifestyle could have been made back then that may have
prevented this and allowed for other things.

irvinm wrote:I think this is the perfect time to go explore the other exciting things you want to do. Let the Firefox community mature and let's see how if it survives in a post-XUL world later this year. If Firefox doesn't implode, maybe even updating Cyberfox to ESR versions would be a very welcome thing and would reduce your day-to-day workload on this project. (However, I would guess the development work might be more than an incremental release and people will have to be more understanding in the forums and have to rely more on one another than on you)

I am hoping you get to do what makes you happy and maybe at some point down the road that will include Cyberfox again, but if it doesn't it has been a GREAT ride!


Hi irvinm thank you for your feedback and support.

HerrFornit wrote:In each end is a beginning.

For you it is the right decision.
Thank you so much! Take care


Thanks HerrFornit for your support and feedback.

teman wrote:I've been using Cyberfox for years. Even after Mozilla releases its 64-bit browser, I still use Cyberfox.
Thank you for providing this.


Hi teman thanks for the feedback and support.

bdennir wrote:Hmm ... wrong! Some people have a calling. You have found yours. You should embrace it; otherwise, who are you? Need money? helpers? what? Believe me when I tell you I don't come out openly, easily. However the quality of your work seems to demand something else of me when I detect recalcitrance on your part. Take a vacation, enjoy life, tell us what you need. I think you'll be satisfied with the result. Let us again dream of what could be, I, like a cripple unable to make it happen, you, made this thing I dreamed of happen.


Hi bdennir, i love code regardless of what the project is, how lines of text come together and work is the most rewarding feeling, sadly my views
on donations\money will not fault but am so thankful for all the offers given, the community is amazing which is one of the reasons i didn't mind
footing the bill all these years the impact a simple application has had for people with unbelievable feedback has been an unforgettable experience
and very enjoyable. Sadly lifestyle changes are needed with that to keep doing what i love a change in development direction will be taken to achieve
a good balance.

Thank you for your feedback and support.

ng4ever wrote:I figured Mozilla would push you into a corner and it wouldn't be possible to continue Cyberfox. That is ok though.

Understand fully.

I been using Firefox ESR instead and like it a lot. Thankfully we all have until 2018 before making a decision on what to do!


Hi ng4ever it was more lifestyle choices over extended time then Mozilla, with current direction and the time required with future changes to Firefox.
Thank you for your feedback and support.

Egorro wrote:Hi Toady!
Thank you for all you made, for all your hard work. This is really bad news, but your decision is completely understandable. I only can wish you good luck with your further activities! Thank you again very much!


Hi Egorro, firstly thank you for your years of amazing contributions to Cyberfox and other projects. This is sad news but a chance at new beginnings
as well. Again you have helped Cyberfox become what it has, its users like you who help and contribute that made Cyberfox successful it was the
community more so than me so again thank you.

andytay701 wrote:Hi Toady
just wanted to thank you and the other developers for making such a great web browser.
I have used cyberfox for 2 years now and never had any issues, and you put all other web browsers to shame!
I wish you all the best for the future.
Take care my friend,
Regards
Andy


Hi andytay701 thanks so much for your feedback we are still updating until 2018 so hope you stick around a little longer.

GCG1000 wrote:Toady, thank you for producing a splendid browser! It is truly ahead of Mozilla's development curve: CyberFox is what FFX should have been in the first place! Best of luck with your future endeavors! CyberFox will be missed.


Hi GCG1000, Cyberfox is only as good as the community behind it, thank you for your support and feedback.

Jack Yan wrote:Toady, sorry to hear about this development but you have to make a living and develop the things you have a passion for. I’m grateful to have benefited from your knowledge and your always-polite tech support. Waterfox is inferior (at least for me) because of how much memory it sucks, so I guess the hunt will be on for me some time in the next 12 months for a replacement. All the best to you—you’ve really done a great service to the surfing community.

Hopefully someone will take your lead and release a successor that builds on your hard work.


Hi Jack Yan, thank you so very much for your feedback, glad that i have helped in some way so thank you.

throkr wrote:Hi Toady,

I'm not really surprised by your decision which I do completely understand.
Thank you a lot for all your efforts providing this excellent browser as well as a quality website and support. If Cyberfox is eventually ending in 2018, I surely will miss it.
I wish you all the best for your future projects.
Take care ! ;)


Thank you throkr for your feedback and support.

Tudra wrote:Hi Toady,

Your Cyberfox project saved me several years back, when Opera imploded and began degrading its product. Thanks for all you have done with this wonderful project and your ace support on the forum -- both truly are head and shoulders above the best of the rest of the software industry.

I think you should not feel at all bashful about asking for financial support from users. You have clearly put in the time and been the leader of this, so it is deserved. I encourage you to think about crowd funding, so you can take on some help and oversee this on a light schedule to keep it alive while you spend most of your time on the other pursuits you mentioned as well as attending to your health. (Assuming that funding would help.)

Thanks for all you have done, and your commitment for the next 12 months.


Hi Tudra, sadly my choices on funding\donations\money will never change but even with such lifestyle changes are 90% of the deciding factor also
paying programmers to help is super expensive unless willing to contribute free time, the source code is on github anyone can take it and try getting
what you mention going sadly at this time Cyberfox wont be continued so any fork will have to re-brand the browser. thank you for all your support
and feedback.

TekRon wrote:My name is Ron & I have been pushing Cyberfox to all my friends & colleagues for years. This is the best browser ever! I'm hoping that you can continue past 2018. With the preceding being said, I don't mind chipping in funds via PayPal if that would help. Furthermore, maybe we all can chip in something for the greater good!
All comments & / or feedback are welcome.

Respectfully,

Ron


Hi TekRon there is still a very small glimmer of hope but sadly at this time (EOL) is the path Cyberfox is on in 2018, sadly its more lifestyle then cost
while still a minor factor even with funding\donations\money Cyberfox could not continue with me at the helm. Anyone is free to fork Cyberfox
source code from github and re-brand the browser.

Cool Barn wrote:Toady, I just wanted to say thank you for a fantastic browser that I have used for the past few years and been extremely pleased with all this time. Hearing this news fills us with much sadness, just as it must for you to say it.

Again thanks for everything, and best of luck with your health and all future endeavors. Hopefully somebody as dedicated, intelligent, and passionate as yourself can continue the project and leave Cyberfox as the best internet browser in the world!

Take care


Hi Cool Barn thank you for your support and feedback.

Gumby wrote:Thank you for all your work on Cyberfox. It is a great project, and my favorite browser. It will be missed should it indeed reach EOL.

I certainly understand that sometimes one needs to make difficult decisions for personal reasons. While I'll be sad to have to leave Cyberfox, I wish you much happiness, success, and good health in your future endeavors.


Hi Gumby thanks for the feedback and support.

itekweni wrote:Hi just read this after upgrading to Version 52 and like many other users very sad to see such a great browser is going to disappear in 2018 and I would like to say a big thank you to all who have been involved and like many people on here understand the reasons behind the move and I would also like to wish you all the best for the future, now all I have to do is search for another great browser which Cyberfox has been and hope that i find one,


Thank you itekweni for your support and feedback.

yoreek wrote:Hi, dear Toady! I've just seen your notice after an upgrade and even decided to sign up to express my deepest gratitude. The fact that I never ever registered here is yet another proof of Cyberfox smooth experience as a daily browser, because I have never needed any support whatsoever. Like another guy posted it here, I switched to it when the good old Opera turned into a monster, and your browser showed me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.) For a few year now, Cyberfox has been my helping hand, and it breaks my heart to learn that it's being discontinued. I would eagerly contribute my donation to the common cause of supporting our favourite browser, but it's even more sad to hear that it not only related to money. I wish you luck in your future projects, Toady, and what's much more important, in recovering your health. Many many thanks for your efforts! And I do hope there will be people able to continue this amazing project.


Hi yoreek, many don't have any issues just install and use, also allot is done though email support too many liked that over signing up to the forums.
Thank you for all your support and feedback.

polymer ghost wrote:First post - and a big THANK YOU! Like some guys before, I also never posted before because CF always just worked. What an experience! And I'll just say that I can totally understand the decision taken.
One last wish for the browser, if there is no fork til the end of the year would be a Cyberfox 56 farewell edition. I'm sure many extensions will have no replacement after the much criticized changes in FF 57. So a Cyberfox 56 ESR could really be a thing of great value for many users.


Thanks polymer ghost for your feedback and support.

TekRon wrote:As everyone else as stated, I also wish you the best & may you achieve all your short & long term endeavors! You have made a major impact & difference to a lot of people! Thank you! V/R Ron


Thank you TekRon for all your support and feedback.

tonialb wrote:Hello Cyberfox community,

Dark times are coming for Firefox. Lets hope that it will not turn into a black-box! Even the Chromium claim itself 100% open-source, but is it really?!

Cyberfox will miss me. I would like this project had not end, but...! Anyway, a big thank you to Toady and to all people who have contributed on this great project. Wish you all the best.


tonialb thank you for all your feedback and support.

crime-to-box wrote:Thanks Toady for providing my daily browser for the last few years.


Hi crime-to-box thanks for the support and feedback.

newmanmira wrote:I am so sorry to hear this. I've been bragging to people since I downloaded this browser and encouraging them to hop on the bandwagon. I understand your health is much more important, just sad about losing this browser. I hope your personal issues get resolved in a positive manner and to see you back here. I also hope Cyberfox does continue past the EOL. Take care of yourself first. Thanks for all the help and hard work you've put into this project.


Thank you newmanmira so much for your feedback and support.

Kitwritten wrote:I am also very sorry to hear this.

what stands out to me with cyberfox, is you brought the users thinking to the browser, when I load cyberfox, I am loading a browser that a user has built up and its a browser that matches exactly what I want and need to do with it. I want to say how much I appreciate all the people that have put their time, thinking, ideas and visions into cyberfox

when I read about the cost, yes I immediately reached for my wallet.... but you are right... there is no god mode in real life and sooner or later the body says I need updating too. Its something I am facing after 30+ years of gaming on the net, customer support work and endless 16+ / 7 day a week runs.....
The bodies saying its hitting on 50 and its time for maintenance.

if it ends up that cyberfox is no more.... its going to be like some old games, stored on the PC so I can occasionally look at them and remember how I was like a lil kid at xmas.... a reminder of times past and treasured.

Thanks to the team for an amazing browser, and toady for showing Mozilla how a browser should be built and work


Hi Kitwritten so true can't open a console and run reset commands on life ha ha. Thank you for your feedback and support.


Return to “Cyberfox Announcement's”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest