Cyberfox and its future direction

Latest New's, Site Updates, Site Maintenance, Info About Cyberfox & Patches To Cyberfox.
Global Notices. Please Be Sure To Check Regularly.
martyfelker
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby martyfelker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:00 am

Well that sucks. Just made cyberfox my default browser.

Toady
Developer
Developer

Postby Toady » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:57 am

martyfelker wrote:Well that sucks. Just made cyberfox my default browser.

Hi martyfelker

Updates still till end of ESR in 2018 :D

IHeartComputers
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby IHeartComputers » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:40 am

Toady wrote:Updates still till end of ESR in 2018 :D

That's GOOD NEWS :)
Who knows perhaps Cyberfox may actually continue on after that.
I have da faith! ;)
And again Toady THANK YOU for such a WUNDERBAR browser! :D

MaraKat
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby MaraKat » Sat May 06, 2017 3:49 am

Merci Toady pour le merveilleux Cyberfox.
Bonne chance pour tes projets.

HaoZeke
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Postby HaoZeke » Fri May 12, 2017 9:09 am

Hi,
I just made an account here to thank you for your stellar work.
I've never looked to another browser since I started using cyberfox just a few years ago.

It's sublime. I hope you manage to achieve your goals and life restructuring, nothing is more important than health..

However, I noticed you mentioned CDN charges.... Waterfox has a free tie up with MaxCDN...
Surely they or another CDN distributor would be willing to host this stellar open-source project for free??

Maybe the core team could look into this? At least it would reduce costs for the ESR period...

Toady
Developer
Developer

Postby Toady » Sat May 13, 2017 7:45 am

Hi HaoZeke

I have looked at that and contacted many services all that was offered were discounts between 5-7% off, based on the information i provided them at the
time for data bandwidth usage and average requests to 8pecxstudios server (Not including Sourceforge being its the most used), most said needed
minimum tier 2 of there product they recommended as the basic wasn't enough, This meant the price range per month ranged from $150 usd - $300 usd
and if any limits were reached the additional costs per xxx amount used, this also left if someone wanted to abuse the service a potential to cost me allot of money. But that's not including the usage on Sourceforge something i couldn't gauge but would likely need a higher tier yet again and the main factor
was the amount of bandwidth being used per month that pushes the cost up really fast.

Long story short with the growth rate cyberfox was on it would have ended up been far more then i could afford to sustain. Data usage dropped by half
after this announcement and has been on a steady decline even with still supporting Cyberfox till end of ESR, so paying for a CDN will be no point and a
waste of money. But if a CDN did offer a free service i would definitely switch over to it.

nugar
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Postby nugar » Sat May 20, 2017 9:54 am

Hi, I've used Cyberfox as my default browser for a couple of years now, and I would personally like to thank you for such a brilliant browser, sad to see that it's coming to E.O.L. Also your health is the main concern so take good care, even though it is coming to E.O.L I will still use Cyberfox after that, and for many more years to come, regardless of whether there are any more updates or not. So once again thanks for the memories and a BRILLIANT browser, and take care of yourself.

jeff22817
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby jeff22817 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Thank you for Cyberfox. I'm sad to see you (and Cyberfox) leave, but you are right, your quality of life, indeed, is more important. My main reason to abandon Mozilla Firefox was the continuous adding of features I don't need and redesigning FF into something I couldn't work with anymore. Your CyberCTR saved me in a number of cases. I really hope someway it may continue. Perhaps someone else... And maybe there is a way Cyberfox could continue existence as a solely-ESR web browser (with just the security updates). For me the adding of new features was never an interest. Please let us know of you find a worthy successor for Cyberfox. I will continue working with Cyberfox for at least an other year.

Good luck with your life choices.
Regards, Jeff.

Riven
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Postby Riven » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:41 am

Greetings to you,

It is most important that you do take care of your health, I know as I am 70 years old and have used your browser for a long time but never joined the forum until now. I sincerely hope that perhaps someone can take over your place to keep your work alive and going. You have done a fine job and I fully enjoy our browser and in fact it is my default browser now. Much better than Firefox will ever be I think.

I wish you my happiness and good luck, and shall pray this valuable browser shall be able to continue for years to come, but I fully understand if it is not to be. Bright blessings to you and much happiness.

Riven

Fred Cailloux
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby Fred Cailloux » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 pm

That is one disappointing news :( I'd like to say a big thank you for all the work you have put on helping the world to live more freely and privately with Cyberfox.
I which I was filthy rich I would finance Cyberfox :)
Why don't you try some kind of financing campaign like crowd funding or kick starter. or like Wikipedia does from time to time.
You never know ? With all the fans out there who appreciate Cyberfox, you could very possibly reap lots of $ and be able to literally start a team to take care of Cyberfox future!
Anyhow, all the luck to you and your dreams

Return to “Cyberfox Announcement's”