Cyberfox and its future direction

Latest New's, Site Updates, Site Maintenance, Info About Cyberfox & Patches To Cyberfox.
Global Notices. Please Be Sure To Check Regularly.
irvinm
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Post by irvinm » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:33 am

I think this is the perfect time to go explore the other exciting things you want to do. Let the Firefox community mature and let's see how if it survives in a post-XUL world later this year. If Firefox doesn't implode, maybe even updating Cyberfox to ESR versions would be a very welcome thing and would reduce your day-to-day workload on this project. (However, I would guess the development work might be more than an incremental release and people will have to be more understanding in the forums and have to rely more on one another than on you)

I am hoping you get to do what makes you happy and maybe at some point down the road that will include Cyberfox again, but if it doesn't it has been a GREAT ride!

the-edmeister
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by the-edmeister » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:50 am

Toady, although I am new to Cyberfox (and this fora) I want to thank you for your time and efforts over the years towards promoting and keeping a Gecko-based web browser alive. Quite honestly your decision doesn't surprise me, but I do encourage you to consider helping out with another Gecko-based browser as your time permits.

Other posters in this thread have mentioned Waterfox and PaleMoon (which is no longer Gecko-based) as potential alternatives - but SeaMonkey has roots that go back to before Firefox even existed. SeaMonkey is a continuation of the original Mozilla Suite. And with the SeaFox extension all the non- web browser features can be hidden and disabled.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=51

Once again, thank you for your contributions.

HerrFornit
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by HerrFornit » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:11 am

In each end is a beginning.

For you it is the right decision. :)
Thank you so much! Take care

teman
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Post by teman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 am

I've been using Cyberfox for years. Even after Mozilla releases its 64-bit browser, I still use Cyberfox.
Thank you for providing this.

nitroFX
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by nitroFX » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:20 pm

the-edmeister wrote:PaleMoon (which is no longer Gecko-based) as potential alternatives
renaming the gecko engine to goanna wont make it no longer (Gecko-based) quite the opposite makes goanna engine based on gecko- engine
still (Gecko-based). creating a whole new engine would be no longer (Gecko-based). no logic in this at all. taking webkit calling it yourkit still makes
webkit based. taking blink calling it wink still makes blink based. starting to see the pattern

bdennir
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Post by bdennir » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Hmm ... wrong! Some people have a calling. You have found yours. You should embrace it; otherwise, who are you? Need money? helpers? what? Believe me when I tell you I don't come out openly, easily. However the quality of your work seems to demand something else of me when I detect recalcitrance on your part. Take a vacation, enjoy life, tell us what you need. I think you'll be satisfied with the result. Let us again dream of what could be, I, like a cripple unable to make it happen, you, made this thing I dreamed of happen.

ng4ever
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by ng4ever » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I figured Mozilla would push you into a corner and it wouldn't be possible to continue Cyberfox. That is ok though.

Understand fully.

I been using Firefox ESR instead and like it a lot. Thankfully we all have until 2018 before making a decision on what to do!

Egorro
Cyber V.I.P
Cyber V.I.P

Post by Egorro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi Toady!
Thank you for all you made, for all your hard work. This is really bad news, but your decision is completely understandable. I only can wish you good luck with your further activities! Thank you again very much!

nitroFX
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by nitroFX » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:11 pm

2018 will be a sad time

andytay701
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Post by andytay701 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 am

Hi Toady
just wanted to thank you and the other developers for making such a great web browser.
I have used cyberfox for 2 years now and never had any issues, and you put all other web browsers to shame!
I wish you all the best for the future.
Take care my friend,
Regards
Andy