Cyberfox and its future direction

Latest New's, Site Updates, Site Maintenance, Info About Cyberfox & Patches To Cyberfox.
Global Notices. Please Be Sure To Check Regularly.
GCG1000
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Re: Cyberfox and its future direction

Postby GCG1000 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:55 am

Toady, thank you for producing a splendid browser! It is truly ahead of Mozilla's development curve: CyberFox is what FFX should have been in the first place! Best of luck with your future endeavors! CyberFox will be missed.

Jack Yan
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby Jack Yan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 am

Toady, sorry to hear about this development but you have to make a living and develop the things you have a passion for. I’m grateful to have benefited from your knowledge and your always-polite tech support. Waterfox is inferior (at least for me) because of how much memory it sucks, so I guess the hunt will be on for me some time in the next 12 months for a replacement. All the best to you—you’ve really done a great service to the surfing community.

Hopefully someone will take your lead and release a successor that builds on your hard work.

throkr
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby throkr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Toady,

I'm not really surprised by your decision which I do completely understand.
Thank you a lot for all your efforts providing this excellent browser as well as a quality website and support. If Cyberfox is eventually ending in 2018, I surely will miss it.
I wish you all the best for your future projects.
Take care ! ;)

Tudra
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby Tudra » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi Toady,

Your Cyberfox project saved me several years back, when Opera imploded and began degrading its product. Thanks for all you have done with this wonderful project and your ace support on the forum -- both truly are head and shoulders above the best of the rest of the software industry.

I think you should not feel at all bashful about asking for financial support from users. You have clearly put in the time and been the leader of this, so it is deserved. I encourage you to think about crowd funding, so you can take on some help and oversee this on a light schedule to keep it alive while you spend most of your time on the other pursuits you mentioned as well as attending to your health. (Assuming that funding would help.)

Thanks for all you have done, and your commitment for the next 12 months.

TekRon
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby TekRon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:27 pm

My name is Ron & I have been pushing Cyberfox to all my friends & colleagues for years. This is the best browser ever! I'm hoping that you can continue past 2018. With the preceding being said, I don't mind chipping in funds via PayPal if that would help. Furthermore, maybe we all can chip in something for the greater good!
All comments & / or feedback are welcome.

Respectfully,

Ron

Toady
Developer
Developer

Postby Toady » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey, Everyone

Thank you all for your feedback the response thought multiple platforms and types of contact has been immensely appreciated and truly amazing.
For all who have been offering funds, money etc. Thank you but sorry have to respectfully decline. That is only a small part of the whole picture here
as stated in the main thread its more about lifestyle changes that are needed with these changes a direction in development that will still allow me
to do what enjoy so much while improving my lifestyle. Making 8pecxstuidos into a profitable business has been a goal for a very long time one that
can not be done with my current lifestyle. Making video games has always been a very strong passion and that was the original direction 8pecxstudios
was heading with current lifestyle and projects that are requiring more time than i can give with my current lifesyle. Now 12 months is a very long time
and in that time the changes made to my lifestyle may enable me to continue cyberfox beyond the current (EOL) but at this stage sadly not.

Again thank you all for your amazing support we hope you stick with us to the very end. There are a few small changes to land on cyberfox and a few improvements that have been worked on for Linux thanks to an amazing user (hawkeye116477) that should make the next 12 months easier for users who keep using cyberfox.

TekRon
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby TekRon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Toady, good evening & thank you for the response. With the preceding being said, maybe accepting funds & allocating them in such a way to maintain this phenomenal browser would be the way to go. It could potentially allow you to pursue your other goals, objectives & improve your lifestyle. One thing I do have to respectfully disagree with is 12 months really is not a long time as time flies as we are already in March. Accepting donations over the course of this year would really be beneficial from my perspective. You could potentially allocate those funds to individuals who really care about something that you started & created! Something to truly think about.

Again, comments & feedback are welcome.

Thank you.

V/R

Ron

Cool Barn
CyberNoob
CyberNoob

Postby Cool Barn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:22 pm

Toady, I just wanted to say thank you for a fantastic browser that I have used for the past few years and been extremely pleased with all this time. Hearing this news fills us with much sadness, just as it must for you to say it.

Again thanks for everything, and best of luck with your health and all future endeavours. Hopefully somebody as dedicated, intelligent, and passionate as yourself can continue the project and leave Cyberfox as the best internet browser in the world!

Take care :)

mgagnonlv
Cyber V.I.P
Cyber V.I.P

Postby mgagnonlv » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:04 am

Hello,

First of all, thank you for the work you have accomplished on Cyberfox in the last years. Your work was very well appreciated. And good luck with your future endeavours. May your experience with Cyberfox be (at the very least) a serious stepping stone into the rest of your career.

Apart from your personal reasons, I think your decision also makes sense in a strictly technical viewpoint. I became aware of Cyberfox and Pale Moon almost at the same time, at around v. 21 or 22. Both browsers – and Waterfox too – have pros and cons compared to a comparable version of Firefox; going back to Cyberfox, I found the benefits were:
1. Available in a 64-bit version when Firefox was 32-bit only;
2. Seamless integration of CTR (aka. Classic Theme Restorer), and more recently,
3. Possibility to use non-signed extensions.

The first reason is less important nowadays now that Firefox is also available in 64-bits... albeit with much more limited support for plugins. As for the two other reasons, traditional extensions are disappearing (and Classic Theme Restorer with it), and most likely making Firefox irrelevant in about 1 year.

Keeping Cyberfox alive beyond 2018 would need a major commitment, not only to develop the browser (or at least maintain the ESR version secure indefinitely), but also to keep all extensions available to the community.

So good luck with the rest of your life!

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not sure where I will go in one year.
– Cyberfox ESR, just like Firefox 52 ESR, should be updated for 1 year. At that time, it won't become obsolete suddenly. So I am likely to use it for some time, at least on not-too-sensitive websites.
– Pale Moon has an even more traditional approach and is very serious about security. However, it prefers to follow official standards rather than bend to market considerations. So it sounds as a good choice, as long as websites use standard coding, don't use DRM, etc.
– Apart from that, there remains the big two browsers, which have missing features: very few extensions available and no menu bar.

Gumby
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Postby Gumby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Thank you for all your work on Cyberfox. It is a great project, and my favorite browser. It will be missed should it indeed reach EOL.

I certainly understand that sometimes one needs to make difficult decisions for personal reasons. While I'll be sad to have to leave Cyberfox, I wish you much happiness, success, and good health in your future endeavors.

Return to “Cyberfox Announcement's”