[INFO] About Cyberfox 29 Update!

General Discussion can talk freely about anything.
Toady
Developer
Developer

[INFO] About Cyberfox 29 Update!

Post by Toady » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:50 pm

News Update:
Please Read viewtopic.php?f=6&t=382&start=40#p2402 For Important Information
Attaining To Cyberfox 29 +
Hi everyone

How are well all doing, Well as most of you know Firefox Australis has started rolling out, So there are going to be allot of unhappy people out there :D , This probably is leaving you wondering when Cyberfox is going to update to 29 code base so where are here to help answer this question.

As discussed in Firefox Australis what this means for Cyberfox! about what this means for cyberfox and the direction its taking, We mentioned how cyberfox will be changing to its own profile system and that there is going to be an initial delay in the cyberfox 29 release due to the massive changes made.

Below is a video of our current progress with a voice over

[youtube]zZuldgmSQFw[/youtube]

We are about 60%+ complete its going to take a little more time but with us starting almost as soon as the beta was out we have reduced the gap and time its going to take by a large percent, We are extremely happy with progress so far we hoped to have had it ready for release when australis went live, But we know how most things we wish happen are not whats actually going to happen :D life is like that twist and turns along the way.

We are going to release in a few days a 28.0.1 update this will have all the applicable security patches also the profile directory change as to start merging users over to the new system.

We also have been working tirelessly to have profile buddy ready for the profile change at release, So we should have simple mode ready, This will allow the copying of the current default profile based on what browser profiles it detects, More information on it will be provided with the beta release.

We have also had to overhaul our automated build system as the update to australis was not the only thing changed there moz-build was updated with meant we had to rebuild our system, This accounts for so more delay in the release time frame, But has allowed us to completely rebuild and refactor the custom system, We have added cyberfox (x86) portable to the new packaging system so from cyberfox 29+ there will be (x86) version of cyberfox portable.

We have also made changes to the website that are currently live now that if your not running the latest release of firefox\cyberfox when on 8pecxstudios you will get a this message:
oudated-message.JPG
We will be most likely adding the same message system to our support forums as well, Now the detection method is not 100% as its not able to detect minor version numbers only major, Example it
will detect 27.0 but not 27.0.1 it will only see 27.0, We hope to improve on this system its only a new addition coupled with the new url system out lined in (Possible confusion on site concerning update) were we have provided more detailed information on the new system.

We also have a small update pending to the cyberfox update manager mainly small bug fixes and little improvements.

We thank everyone for there amazing support and patience's while we get everything ready to be updated and while we work tirelessly to get cyberfox 29 out.

Well time for me to get back to work :ugeek:
Last edited by Toady on Wed May 21, 2014 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Info

PantherX
Cyber V.I.P
Cyber V.I.P

Re: [INFO] About Cyberfox 29 Update!

Post by PantherX » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for keeping us in the loop by providing us with an update. I don't mind the slight delay as opposed to a rushed job which usually contains bugs and makes it an unpleasant experience.

Looking forward to Cyberfox 29 :ugeek:

nitroFX
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by nitroFX » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 pm

this why i love cyberfox so much level of information given no rush just give amazing update like always :) :) :)

Tallpaultn
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by Tallpaultn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 am

Hi Toady,

Thank you for the update about the current status of the Cyberfox(x86) project. I think it sends a very loud & clear message to Cyberfox Users when you take time from your very busy schedule to update them about the latest browser information. I think providing information about what's going on is a much better approach than the "mushroom" approach used by some other available browsers, which for whatever reason(s), seem to cherish secrecy & the developers are very cocky, unhelpful & hateful. I know I am extremely impressed with my Cyberfox Browser experience to date & am very much looking forward to future releases. Thanks & kudos to you--keep up the good work! :D

fae
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by fae » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:56 am

take as much time needed i wish all developer were this informative and open ;)

NullXtreme
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by NullXtreme » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:18 am

well thanks for the great news today looking forward to the new release.

off topic the input.mozilla.org has blown up with bad feedback https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?happy= ... ion=29.0.0

mgagnonlv
Cyber V.I.P
Cyber V.I.P

Post by mgagnonlv » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 am

Thanks for the updated information.

Quite frankly, I think the only "urgent" update is related to the separate profile for Cyberfox. One potential issue I see would be with new users who install Cyberfox 28 because they are dissatisfied with Firefox 29, then go back to try Firefox 29, and then come back to Cyberfox 28. They might complain about losing their customization in the process. I haven't tried this to see how affected – or corrupted – my profile would be and whether or not it would be a real problem.
Maybe you need a warning about it (on the main page, or in the FAQ) until version 28.0.1 lands.

As a user of Cyberfox Portable, I am immune from such kind of profile corruption, so take your time. I want to continue to use a good, reliable browser!

Shirou
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by Shirou » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:47 am

NullXtreme wrote:off topic the input.mozilla.org has blown up with bad feedback https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?happy= ... ion=29.0.0
The volume of bad opinion is the same as the volume of good ones so it's confusing but one thing is certain, Firefox 29 works faster as most people report and it is more intuitive. Tbh... I want australis, like right now... if it wasn't for my 300 tabs opened (but not loaded) in cyberfox and the fact that normal Firefox is 32 bit then I would have switch today for some in depth testing for like half a month or month to see what is the fuss all about and to see how Firefox 29 plays with my browsing habits. One thing is sure, I like how it looks, it's still customizable as the previous one the only thing I have noticed so far is that you cant have tabs on bottom (which I don't use) and that you cant move the refresh/reload button which I have mixed opinion on but I do have it on the right of url bar, aside from that Firefox 29 brings something that I already use for a long time ago and I have to have an addon for it to work :/ Remove of the addons bar and hide them in a small clickable mini menu like icon in the bottom of right corner of my browser window. In Firefox 29 I could just hide those addon icons in the main menu that is on the far right side from address bar.

Toady
Developer
Developer

Post by Toady » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

Thank you all for your feedback.

mgagnonlv wrote:Thanks for the updated information.

Quite frankly, I think the only "urgent" update is related to the separate profile for Cyberfox. One potential issue I see would be with new users who install Cyberfox 28 because they are dissatisfied with Firefox 29, then go back to try Firefox 29, and then come back to Cyberfox 28. They might complain about losing their customization in the process. I haven't tried this to see how affected – or corrupted – my profile would be and whether or not it would be a real problem.
Maybe you need a warning about it (on the main page, or in the FAQ) until version 28.0.1 lands.

As a user of Cyberfox Portable, I am immune from such kind of profile corruption, so take your time. I want to continue to use a good, reliable browser!
Yeah i updated the site messages to warn about the profiles, The hardest part is most are going to get an auto update of Firefox then realize everything's changed then re-install version 28 only to find they have lost all there settings or for a small few they profile maybe corrupt.

Thanks for the tip.

NullXtreme wrote:well thanks for the great news today looking forward to the new release.

off topic the input.mozilla.org has blown up with bad feedback https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/?happy= ... ion=29.0.0
Well that's some very graphical feedback :shock: :o , Oh my :? , Well user feedback's doubled since australis release last night, Thats a good thing right :?

NullXtreme
CyberSupporter
CyberSupporter

Post by NullXtreme » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:14 am

NullXtreme wrote:well thanks for the great news today looking forward to the new release.

top comments by heap of people :lol:

Whenever I click the Firefox icon on my desktop, it opens Google Chrome instead of Firefox.

A thousand add-ons could not undo the crap you inflicted on us.

i hate tabs on top, why can't i change this in ff29?

Even the new Opera is better than this...

If I wanted Chrome, I'd download Chrome.

fix it

Please let FF29 and Austalis be just a delayed april's foll joke. PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE!!!

Damn Firefox looks like crap now! Some of us don't care for rounded tabs and WTH happened to all the customization? FIX IT!

New GUI is terrible!

Australis sucks! If I wanted my browser to look like google chrome I would not be using your browser.

i spend 5hrs looking and trying to turn tabs on bottom back please help.

how do i print a web page where did the button go???????

is this a beta release accidentally put in the release section?? when will it change back to the regular style, i can not work with this, my boss is going to kill me arrgg!!!